Thursday, December 15, 2011

Tool #11

1.       Being introduced to some of the brand new tools, and learning more about a great deal of them has been pretty neat. There are some tools that we will use constantly with our new technology. Google Docs is (in my opinion) by far the most useful tool that we learned about. The ability that the kids have to collaborate within projects, and even from class to class is great and allows for numerous possibilities of how to teach across different subjects. Poll everywhere is just something that I think would be fun to use, maybe not the most efficient, but definitely fun and different for the kids.
2.       I am very excited to get the technology into my classroom. I know that unfortunately it will take a lot of work upfront, with initially teaching the kids how to correctly utilize the devices. I think that with some leg work, and a lot of planning my classroom could really have a different look in the near future. I think that this year, for the rest of the semester it will be almost like a trial run, and once we are comfortable with the best practices and ways to get technology into the lessons everyday it will be awesome! I am fully aware that at the beginning the planning and thinking through the uses of technology will be different, but then eventually it should provide us with amazing new possibilities as educators.
3.       I was happy to learn about some of the tool I had not yet experienced. I was pretty familiar with a great deal of them already, but it was interesting to see how many tool SBISD has available for the kids to use.  With the amount of apps and programs that SBISD provides, our students will be far more technologically advanced than I am at this age. I am excited to get the tools, and get started already!
evel2 � / ' < ��� P� portLists]>·         Lastly, we have a big “no bullying” push on our campus. We have had staff meetings about it and it truly a point of emphasis here at SFMS. It is very important that our students understand that our stance against bullying extends into cyberspace. We as educators have to make sure we are monitoring chatrooms, or online forums that our students are working in to ensure that appropriate dialogue is taking place.

2.       Through the ED Tech website located HERE you can access a great deal of websites that have informative pages on how to correctly use the internet. I enjoyed a page called “Code for Best Practices” This page was created and is managed by The University of Rhode Island and was originally created for their school of communications and media. It talks a great deal about copyright laws, something that is important to this generation with all of the illegal downloading that happens constantly.
·         There is also a page called Cyberethics which interestingly enough is a .gov website. This website is great about how to correctly use the internet with safety and appropriateness in mind. They have a list of “Do’s” and “Do not’s” which is pretty good.
I think that both of these websites will be utilized within my classroom once the technology rollout takes place. Knowing how to correctly use technology is a fundamental piece to have in place to allow for successful 21st century learning.

3.       I think that using some of these resources every class will need to have a discussion on what appropriate technology use in that classroom means. I plan on sharing the websites, with the students and their parents via blogs, or hardcopies and engaging in class discussions openly. I think that most of our students have experienced something on the internet through whatever social media site which impacted their outlook on things. Giving examples and role playing could be an effective way of demonstrating appropriate internet behavior.

4.       As previously mentioned, I can share the information with parents through my website or via hardcopies. I think it would be a good idea for the school to hold a “Parent’s education night” and send a letter home outlining good ideas, or expectations of our students here at SFMS. It is essential that everyone is on the same page when it comes to what is best for the students at our school. 

1 comment:

  1. Don't know how half of Tool #10 is also appearing in Tool #11, but... ;-)

    A agree - Google tools are awesome. And, if you haven't taken the time to explore Google Chrome - with the apps and extensions - I encourage you and your students to do so!

    It is an exciting time!

    ReplyDelete